Airtame supports the use of an ethernet adapter to increase stability and performance while maintaining its wireless charm. The ethernet adapter replaces the Wifi connection between Airtame and router, meaning that the connection from router to PC is still Wireless. And you can buy it from our web-store
Why would you want to use an ethernet adapter?
- Stability: WiFi signals sometimes lose data because of external blockers and interference.
- Transfer speed: The process of transmitting data wirelessly takes more time than using cables since signals need to be transferred in the air and if loss of data retransmitted. Therefore it will always add a bit more latency when streaming than when using cables.
Airtame supports all ethernet adapters with the ASIX AX88772A chipset.
Connecting the ethernet adapter to the device
- Uncover the Accessory port on the side of Airtame.
- Plug The micro USB/Ethernet adapter into the accessory port. Then the Ethernet cable from the router to an adapter.
- Give power to Airtame and wait for it to boot. Once the device has booted, you will be presented with a new IP address for you Ethernet connection.
Add necessary information when using ethernet
When an ethernet adapter is connected, additional configuration is needed to complete the "3 Step Guide" on the splash screen and until this is done it will show a notification and [unconfigured] in Step 1.
To complete the guide open the device configuration and fill in the name of the WiFi network that users have to connect to in order to stream to Airtame.
I do not get an Ethernet connection
If the connection does not appear it is because Airtame hasn't established a connection to your router. This is either a bad physical connection in the hardware or because the router is not giving access to Airtame. Ensure that your router has DHCP Enabled and no blocking against ethernet connections. It may be necessary for this ethernet port to be granted access to the subnet used in your organization, this can be done by the network administrator.
It is possible to check if the ethernet adapter is compatible or has been detected correctly by going to the device management panel. It will show up even if there is no IP or no cable connected to the adapter.
To do this:
1- Go to the device management panel
2- Clicking on the update tab 5 times in a row. This will enable "Debug mode"
3- Under "Network Interfaces" there will be a paragraph starting with "Eth0" if Airtame has detected an Ethernet Adapter.